Saturday, September 29, 2007

What are YOU studying?

Why do I have to answer this question? When you're an undergrad, it's enough to simply state your major. You don't have to have some lifelong purpose behind it. You don't have to have traveled extensively in Europe to be interested in European literature, and you don't have to have grown up with a mathematician for a father to do game theory. Isn't it enough that I'm here? That I'm interested in what I'm studying and that I'm trying my best to understand what we're talking about?

The question, "Why are you taking that class?" only means "Why do you think you're good enough to be here?" I mentioned I might be interested in literature of the Americas, and someone asked me, "Oh, well, where have you traveled then?" Like it's a prerequisite to read something to have actually been in the place from which it originated.

Fucking bullshit people.

3 comments:

Sweet Jane said...

Don't worry, these are the same people that will still be trying to write their master's theses while you're finishing up your PhD candidacy exams.

The Unapologetic said...

Ha!

It's even funnier because the standard here for finishing your PhD is a minimum of seven years.

Sammee said...

Grad school is so full of bullshit people!! One of the seminars I'm auditing is so full of pretension that I can cut it with a knife and it drives me CRAZY!!

I miss you. I finished my comps, so I'll be commenting and blogging more. :) xoxo