Sunday, September 23, 2007

Lacan

Is this a real sentence?
This passion of the signifier thus becomes a new dimension of the human condition in that it is not only man who speaks, but in man and through man that it speaks; in that his nature becomes woven by effects in which the structure of the language of which he becomes the material can be refound; and in that the relation of speech thus resonates in him, beyond anything that could have been conceived of by the psychology of ideas.

I don't think you're allowed to have that many prepositional phrases in a row.

3 comments:

Sub-sub-librarian said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of lit theory. Apparently, the best way to understand good writing is to read lots of bad writing.

forrest said...

oh--dear me (with concerned surprise in her voice and a hand flitting delicately over her heart)

Sammee said...

I don't even realise what's wrong with that writing anymore; it's become so ingrained in my subconscious because of all the theory I've been reading since 2004. I think reading theory has made me a less-effective communicator!