Monday, October 29, 2007

Panic! at the University

Not funny, I know.

So I just read some huge chunks of Kant's Third Critique, which talks about making aesthetic and teleological judgments. I think I actually understood it, which is great.

But now I can't remember what you're supposed to say about philosophy. When you write about books and movies, you talk about the things that are in them; there's no right or wrong. As one of my professors often says (and I think I will be saying or thinking this for the rest of my life), "Henry James said, 'In the arts, feeling is always meaning.'" And even if that's not true, just pick any number of critical perspectives and go at the text, and it works out.

Philosophy is totally different, though. I'm not sure I have intelligent questions about it. Kant seems right to me (as he does to everybody at this university), and even if he didn't, who am I to think I could come up with a decent argument against him. I guess I'll just try to relate it to Goethe somehow, which is what the class is about, anyway...

2 comments:

The Unapologetic said...

Still panicking...

Sweet Jane said...

If you have time, go to the library and pick up John Carey's _What Good Are the Arts?_ He has a great argument about aesthetics, and specifically, against Kant.