Thursday, October 25, 2007

Guts

So that professor, the one who pretty much humiliated that girl? Well, I went to talk to him today. No, not about that. I finally got up the nerve not only to answer a question during class - he had prefaced his question by saying there was no wrong answer - but to ask him a "serious" question afterwards. And guess what? He was extremely nice. After answering my questions, he asked me about why I'm here, my background, where I think I'm heading. And it wasn't phrased in the way that so many people around here phrase things, which always implies, "Are you really supposed to be here?" He even knew my undergrad university and was able to commiserate about how limiting a school like that can be.

But of course, now that I'm looking back, I'm incredibly anxious. Did I say something stupid and not even realize it? Was he just humoring me the whole time? He seemed really interested in talking to me. He encouraged conversation when he could have ended it any time. It wasn't even during his office hours. I wish I could just be content, knowing that we had a decent conversation, and that I can feel free to talk to him in the future.

Anyway, it felt like writing these thoughts out might help, and maybe it has.

1 comment:

Sweet Jane said...

Trust me, professors would not humor you. Most of them simply don't have the time, and this guy sounds like he might be not only busy, but not able to handle bullshit conversations. I think it's safe to say he actually wanted to talk to you!