Friday, May 11, 2007

Music

I've had trouble with music lately. Of the hundreds of songs I love, not one has seemed worth listening to for the last year or so, which has been really difficult. I've been listening to audio books instead, which has sort of filled the gap. I've gone through times like this before, where I just won't listen to anything at all for a long time.

But now it's coming back.

The song that's doing it is so sad, but such is my penchant. "Between the Bars," by Elliott Smith. Even if I don't share the hopelessness of the song, its clarity makes it easy to connect with. Lyrics usually look pretty cheesy when written out, so I'll spare you, but if you don't know this song, you should listen to it several times in a row (it's only a couple minutes long) and pay attention to the words. I often have a problem with "emotional" music because it's usually not honest, but it's obvious to me that Elliott Smith meant the things he sang.

2 comments:

thecrazydreamer said...

you'll need to bring that song with you when you visit so i can hear it. and i'll make you listen to 'black stacy' by saul williams. and 'zero sum' by nine inch nails.

forrest said...

you'll need to bring that song when you visit me so I can hear it too...