Thursday, May 24, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth

Why do people keep saying this movie is good? It's not. It's not even really a movie. If Al Gore doing voiceovers on his own slideshow is good filmmaking, I have to reconsider what I know. I don't deny that he is presenting important information, but he doesn't present it in a compelling way (which he could have done by having this movie look like a movie), he doesn't present possible solutions (unless you count the one-liners fading in during the credits), he doesn't give viewers the benefit of the doubt where comprehension and levels of knowledge are concerned (maybe this was on purpose) and he doesn't present his facts in ways that make it clear that what's happening on the charts and graphs and in his slide photographs, is bad.

Am I awful for thinking so? I recently overheard some of the higher-ups where I work considering showing this movie here for all the employees. If even I think that sounds really patronizing, what would the outspoken, figures-of-the-community, Republicans think?

Yes, it's sad to think of a polar bear drowning because the icebergs he thought would be there, weren't (in fact, it was really sad to watch a polar bear die on the "Planet Earth" series). But a poorly rendered computer graphic animation of that happening doesn't convince me to stop driving my new H3. Have so many people lost their minds, or do that many people just not know what good documentary filmmaking looks like? Why was this movie made? It can't be to convince people, because that would mean Al Gore didn't consult people who actually know how to persaude other people to do things through a medium like film, which I really don't want to believe because he seems smarter than that. Even though I like the guy, I may have to conclude (siding with a large group of people with whom I'd rather not be identified) that it was in hopes of a successful presidential campaign.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Sweet Jane said...

I haven't seen the film yet, but your post is hilarious. I hate it when people use bad computer graphics to illustrate a point. It is as though the use of technology automatically legitimates something, even if it looks worse than old-fashioned illustration. Have you seen _The Yes Men_? It is one of the funniest and best low-budget documentaries I have ever seen. Their ironic use of PowerPoint and computer animation is absolutely hilarious.